Stewart condemns train chaos failures

 

The failures by the Government and the rail industry – highlighted in a  “damning” report into the months of chaos on Yorkshire’s trains – has been condemned by Yorkshire Party Leader Stewart Arnold.

National and regional papers and broadcast media recorded the criticism by the regulator, the Office of Road and Rail, in its report issued on September 20, 2018

The Guardian, for example, said: “A regulator’s report into the travel chaos that left thousands of passengers stranded earlier this year has criticised the rail industry, concluding that ‘nobody took charge’ even when it became clear months before the biggest ever changes to UK timetables that the project was in serious trouble.”

Stewart said: “This report is damning. Nobody is taking responsibility for Yorkshire’s railways.

“Yorkshire transport should be responsible to a Yorkshire Assembly – accountable, fair and transparent. Not unelected quangos, not ministers miles away and not arms length business leaders.”

Stewart Arnold      Picture: Robbie Macdonald

The Yorkshire Post has run a strong campaign on the chaos that passengers have faced for months and was particularly scathing in its reaction.

On the regulator’s report, the newspaper said: “The North’s long-suffering rail passengers did not need an official inquiry to tell them that no organisation – or individual – was taking responsibility for the unprecedented chaos on the region’s railways this summer.

“They knew this months ago when politicians, like Transport Secretary Chris Grayling, were in denial about the disruption and did not acknowledge the crisis on the Northern and TransPennine Express services.”

Share our vision for transport in Yorkshire at https://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/transport/

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X